Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Well we made it through another Mother's day. I got to spend part of my day with my Mother-in-law since all of her children including my wife were out of town. I've got to admit that it made me somewhat sad. My Mother died in 1994 quite unexpectedly. I never got the chance to tell her goodbye. I'm not sure what I would have said other than "I Love You" and "Thank You for everything that you did for me". Still, missing that opportunity has left somewhat of a hole in me.

As I was growing up the term love just wasn't used that much. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was too independent to listen. Maybe my parents understood that I knew. I never doubted that they loved me but the words were rarely there. I guess all of this history figures into how I interact with my own children and grandchildren. I try to always tell them that I Love them whenever we talk. I always tell my grandchildren that I Love them also - I don't care that they are all boys and this action probably isn't the manly thing to do. But the truth is that I do Love them all.

Why is it that all of these obvious truths only come with age? With age comes wisdom or with age comes regret? I don't have that answer but I know that I will continue to let my loved ones know how much I care for them until I am no longer able to do so. Maybe that is the part of our lives they will remember when they get my age.

No comments: